Website World Health Organization
WHO Nigeria is providing support to the Federal Ministry of Health through the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA)
Full Job Description
1. Background and Justification
WHO Nigeria is providing support to the Federal Ministry of Health through the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), to conduct high impact immunization activities. These Supplementary Immunization Activities (SIAs) in Yellow Fever, Meningitis A and Measles. These are in line with achieving the objectives set out in the Nigeria Strategy on Immunization and Primary Health Care Systems Strengthening (NSIPSS) and subsidiary strategies including the Elimination of Yellow Fever Epidemics (EYE) strategy, Regional Meningitis Control strategy, and the Measles Elimination Strategic Plan.
The State Technical Officer shall work harmoniously with the state team and provide technical support in ensuring (1) Yellow Fever Preventive Mass Vaccination Campaign (PMVC) reach at least 90% administrative coverage (80% Post campaign coverage survey) amongst persons aged 9 months to 44 years, (2) Men-A SIA reach at least 80% for varying targeted age groups and (3) planned in 2020 Measles follow-up campaigns reach at least 95% coverage at all levels.
2. Job Description
Under the overall technical guidance of the VPD Cluster Leader, the WHO Country Office (WCO) unit heads, the State Technical Officer will work under the day-to-day supervision of the WHO State Coordinator and the oversight of the Zonal Coordinator, and will perform the following functions:
- Support coordination of activities at state level and ensure all key stakeholders are brought on board timely.
- Assist the state to develop quality work-plans and monitor timely implementation of planned activities.
- Assist the state in the development of quality micro-plans, validation of micro-plans to ensure plans address all needs required for a quality campaign as logistics, personnel and waste management plans are in line with specified guidelines.
- Assist the state in conducting resource mobilization sensitization and advocacy to bridge funding gaps for the campaign.
- Ensure that the state commitment to the campaign is met timely
- Support estimation of Cold Chain space at LGA cold stores and ensure identified gaps are filled prior to the commencement of the campaign.
- Support the development of waste management plan including its implementation as per requirements
- Support the development of training plans and assist in the Facilitation of State and LGA level trainings
- Support the management of AEFI– Reporting, investigating, composition of AEFI Committees at the state and LGA level and their Responsibilities. Management of Negative Rumours against Vaccination / Immunization, etc.
- Conduct pre-implementation assessment of LGAs prior to commencement of the campaign with a standardized checklist approved by the national
- Participate in all conference calls with the State for the campaign readiness
- Support vaccine accountability in LGAs/State.
- Monitor progress of pre, intra and post campaign activities and report to WCO.
- Participate in the conduct of Rapid Convenience Monitoring Process during implementation
- Submission of programme report.
- Submit weekly updates/dashboard to the WCO
- Essential: University degree, preferably in one of the following: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Public Health, or any heath related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Desirable: Post-graduate degree in Public Health, preferably in Epidemiology or other related public health fields from an accredited institution.
- Essential: At least 1 year experience in EPI activities in similar roles in an organization concerned with public health management.
- Desirable: Prior working experience with international nongovernmental organization (INGOs), WHO/UN, health clusters partners, recognized humanitarian organizations.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Advanced level spoken and written English.
- Desirable: Understand local Nigeria languages
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Ensuring the effective use of resources
Proficiency in the use of standard office software (MS Office applications) and note-taking. Operation of computerized systems and databases systems an asset.
To apply for this job please visit careers.who.int.